Koen van der Drift wrote:
[]
> make[262]: Makefile:11: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> make[262]: vfork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> make[261]: *** [dirs] Error 2

The [262] tells you that there are 262 levels of "make" running. Either
there is an infinite loop (but then this should happen to others, too),
or it is a question of parallel make running wild. Do you somehow have
your fink tweaked so that it runs "make -j" without a finite (small)
number of instances given, that is, not "make -j4" or something? This
has been seen on google as causing such a runaway vforking, because make
then spawns as many instances of itself as it can.

I haven't followed the recent discussion about parallel makes, but I
seem to dimly remember that some code was added to fink that runs "make
-jn" with a value for "n" that is determined from the machine itself. If
such code is in your version of fink, then this could be a source of the
error if it doesn't work as intended.