On 8/4/10 11:00 PM, David Lowe wrote:
> On 2 Aug, 2010, at 8:58 PM, Hanspeter Niederstrasser wrote:
>
>> An option like that is generally not kept in Makefiles.  If
>> makefiles are involved, it's more likely as a defines that is then
>> used by the c code.  This command "grep -r
>> default_sound_plugin_name *" suggests that client/options.c is the
>> file to modify.  I see 2 occurrences of default_sound_plugin_name
>> there.  The first one (line 316) sets the default value for the -P
>> option when freeciv is run via the command line (defaults to 0).
>> The second (line 475) is for the actual checkbox used in the
>> Options dialog.  Presumably setting the first NULL to "sdl"
>> (including the "") changes the setting.  I don't know which of the
>> two locations would need to be changed.  It might be just one or
>> both.
>>
>> The following two lines modify each of the two instances.  Make a
>> PatchScript field in the .info file, add them both, and then
>> comment out (prefix with #) as needed until you get the right
>> combination (don't forget to remove ~/.freeciv-client-rc-2.2
>> between runs to make sure you get a clean start).
>
> After reading [but perhaps not comprehending?] options.c myself, i
> have the opinion that the first one is irrelevant.  It looks like the
> '\0' is supposed to be overwritten by the list of choices found in
> the second part.  A developer upstream thinks there is a bug there,
> though i'm waiting to enter it into their tracker until i gather some
> more data.  Anyway, i've built a new .deb using your second patch.
> The interesting thing is, the new version doesn't install a new
> .freeciv-client-rc-2.2 .  When i
>
> $ dpkg -x
> /sw/fink/dists/local/main/binary-darwin-i386/freeciv_2.2.2-8_darwin-i386.deb
> ~/temp/

dpkg-deb -c <DEB FILE> does the same thing if you just want a listing of
the deb contents.

> i don't see the rc file at all, just the stuff that goes into /sw .
> Is there a better way to check this?  I have tinkered with a few
> other ConfigureParams between then and now so it's a possibility that
> it's not being built anymore...

I don't think the default settings file is ever created and put into the
deb file.  As far as I can tell, it's created from scratch when the
program first is run by the user if there's no ~/.freeciv-client-rc-2.2
file already present.  It won't overwrite, even if the default setting
has changed.

I just tested and using just the 2nd patch line (NULL --> "sdl" change),
the client was started with SDL already filled in as a plugin and sound
was heard when moving the units.  This was on a system with no previous
~/.freeciv-client-rc-2.2 file around.

Hanspeter