On 19 Feb, 2012, at 10:20 AM, Alexander Hansen wrote:

> On 2/19/12 12:52 PM, David Lowe wrote:
>> So i finally get around to enabling the SDL version of the freeciv
>> package.  After overcoming a few small hurdles i now face this:
>>
>>> Unpacking freeciv-sdl (from
>>> .../freeciv-sdl_2.3.1-13_darwin-i386.deb) ... /sw/bin/dpkg: error
>>> processing
>>> /sw/fink/dists/local/main/binary-darwin-i386/freeciv-sdl_2.3.1-13_darwin-i386.deb
>>> (--install): trying to overwrite `/sw/bin/freeciv-manual', which
>>> is also in package freeciv
>>
>> I know of no innate reason why the binaries can't co-exist, but my
>> browsing through info files didn't turn up anything that obviously
>> looked like a solution.  What are my options other than having the
>> two variants 'Conflicts:' each other?

> A few thoughts:
>
> 1)  Let freeciv and freeciv-sdl Conflicts: and Replaces: each other.
> That's easy, but if there's only the one file that overlaps another
> solution might be preferable.
>
> 2)  Rename freeciv-manual in _both_ variants to avoid overlap, and use
> update-alternatives to allow fink (or the user) to select which one of
> the renamed items will provide 'freeciv-manual'.  That avoids the
> Conflicts/Replaces between variants, at the expense of a little
> additional work in a PostInstScript and PreRmScript.
>
> 3)  A separate freeciv-manual package (I'm assuming that it's a manual
> :-) ) which both freeciv and freeciv-sdl would Depend (or
> RuntimeDepend) on.  This would entail an additional package
> description.  Unfortunately you can't just do it as a Splitoff,
> because it's forbidden to have an invariantly-named Splitoff of a
> varianted package.
>
> 4)  A freeciv-manual package and a freeciv-manual-sdl package which
> are Splitoffs of freeciv and freeciv-sdl respectively.  They'd both
> contain the freeciv-manual executable, Conflict/Replace each other,
> but you'd set the dependencies in freeciv and freeciv-sdl to allow for
> both, e.g.
>
> RuntimeDepends: ... freeciv-manual (=%n-%v) | freeciv-manual-sdl (=%n-%v)
>
> I'm thinking RuntimeDepends might come in handy here to avoid
> deadlocks at build time.

        After some research, i plan to implement something similar to the way
this is done in Debian.  The package will have more variants:

1) freeciv [just the gtk2 client]
2) freeciv-sdl [just the client]
3) freeciv-server [backend which is not needed for multiplayer games]
4) freeciv-common [graphics & sounds for all clients, the manual, and some
small utilities]

        So this is basically another tack on Mr. Hansen's option 3.  My new
problem is that there is no configure option to disable creation of the manual.
 Now i *imagine* the fix would be a PreInstScript that goes into the build
directory and deletes the manual subdirectory, but i'm open to any other ideas.
 If this is to be the way, can anybody suggest what info file would be a good
example for how to do this?

Sent from my MacBookPro

Newspaper Ad:  Tired of cleaning yourself?  Let me do it.