On 1 Mar, 2012, at 2:35 PM, Daniel Macks wrote:

>> My new problem is that there is no configure option to disable creation of
>> the manual.  Now i *imagine* the fix would be a PreInstScript that goes into
>> the build directory and deletes the manual subdirectory, but i'm open to any
>> other ideas.  If this is to be the way, can anybody suggest what info file
>> would be a good example for how to do this?
>
> PreInst is a "dpkg installing the .deb into the live filesystem" not "during
> creation of the .deb archive for later use". I'm pretty sure filename
> collisions are handled in dpkg based on its own records of what it installed,
> not the current state of the filesystem. And PreInst doesn't happen until
> dpkg has decided that it can actually likely install it, which would be well
> after it aborted due to the collision, if I understand your plan. You need to
> delete the files from the install staging directory (%i) during
> InstallScript, so that the actual package (.deb) that dpkg is handling is not
> colliding. The alternative is to hack the makefiles so that the manual isn't
> generated. I'm not sure the amount of time and dependencies needed for
> generating them, so I don't know if there's a substantial advantage (to
> users) of disabling their generation rather than generating-then-wasting.

        Well, grepping for 'InstallScript' gets me about 6,000 hits.  I checked
a few examples and none seemed to do what i want.  Can i get a little tutoring
or maybe somebody can point me to an info that does something like this?  The
makefile method actually sounds more efficient, but my comprehension of
makefilese is fairly limited as well.

Sent from my MacBookPro

No woman ever shot a man when he was doing dishes.