On July 13, 2014 at 10:19:56 AM, Alexander Hansen (alexanderk.han...@gmail.com)
wrote:
On 7/13/14, 6:30 AM, Kevin Horton wrote:
> A long, long time ago, there was a Fink package for GNU screen. That
> package never made it past 10.4 transitional.
>
> I’m having issues using Apple’s /usr/bin/screen, and wonder whether it
> is time to once again have a Fink screen package. Specifically, screen
> hangs if I start it after sshing into either of my OS X computers. I
> can start screen locally, detach, and connect to it over ssh. But I can
> never start screen once sshing into a box.
>
> I see I’m not alone, and I note that someone claims to have identified a
> fix.
>
> http://earthwithsun.com/questions/163881/cant-start-gnu-screen-on-snow-leopard
>
> http://earthwithsun.com/questions/207654/gnu-screen-freezes-when-starting-session-over-ssh-works-locally-whats-wrong
>

> Am I the only one with this problem? If others have identified a
> convenient work around, I’d love to learn about it. If there is no
> workaround, I’ll have a go at a Fink screen package, unless someone else
> wants to do that. Or, is there a working equivalent to screen I can try?
>
> Thank,
>
> --
> Kevin Horton

I have a vague recollection that we pulled screen on 10.5 because at
that time Apple's was the same or a newer version and behaved better in
some regard--I'm not sure what the nature of the issue was, though.

You might check out tmux as a workaround.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.

tmux appears to be a suitable replacement for screen in my workflow.  It works
on my setup, so I’ll drop any thoughts of working on a screen package.

I’m not sure what drives the results of “fink apropos”, but I note that “fink
apropos screen” does not return tmux. Nor does tmux show up if the Fink package
database is searched for “screen” via the web interface.  Perhaps the
description for tmux in the info file could be enhanced to make it show up if
someone is looking for an equivalent to screen.

Thanks for your assistance,

Kevin