the error does not seem to be with tar at all, it looks like you are trying to
upgrade fink or something or at least fink thinks you are.

> /sw/bin/fink -y install libgettext8-dev libiconv-dev
> Use 'fink reinstall fink' to switch distributions
> from 10.11 to 10.12.
> 'install' operation not permitted.

That is the issue not tar, the install is part of the tar bootstrap info file,
but it doesn’t even get to tar yet.  Why is fink tell you you need to switch
from 10.11 tom 10.12, that is the issue.

I do not have 10.12 ATM so I can’t really help beyond this.
---
TS
http://www.southofheaven.org/
Life begins and ends with chaos, live between the chaos!