Thanks for the feedback, TheSin; two things in reply:

1). Confirmed that this is a bootstrap installation of the new
sierra-alpha-bravo branch. While the machine previously had an earlier fink
installation on it, /sw was moved and a new shell was started before starting
the bootstrap.

2). Agreed 100% that the root of the error is indeed in this odd call for fink
install; my reason for flagging tar was simply that it had clearly been
untar’ed and had its tar.c file modified on the lines before this.  You raise a
great point, though — why’s a fink install being called before the bootstrap
has finished installing a number of utilities (incl. tar, dpkg)?

Glad to provide more info, etc. as helpful --
Kevin