Hi,

On Friday, September 27, 2002, at 07:18 AM, Chris Devers wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Marc Trudeau wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Alwyn. How do I know which files are "Kernel programs"?
>
> Possibly none of them. I think what you're looking for is kernel
> extensions -- .kext packages. Apple ones should be in /System, anything
> you install manually should [I think] end up under /Library. So:
>
>    % find /Library | grep '\.kext' | more
>
> On my system -- which aside from Fink doesn't really have any third
> party
> software installed -- the search above turns up nothing. On the other
> hand, searching the /System tree turns up lots, but be careful about
> doing
> anything under that tree, or you could seriously mess up your computer:
>
>    % find /System/Library | grep '\.kext' | more
>
> At a glance, it looks like /System/Library/Extensions is the tree under
> which all kernel extensions end up -- and now that I look, most but not
> all of the bundles there end in the .kext extension. Poke around.

You can also see which kernel modules are currently loaded by the
command
kextstat (see man page for details of the output). There are also
kextload and kextunload for loading and unloading kernel modules.
However, use the latter commands with care and be sure you know what
you are doing. They can easily crash your machine.

Cheers,
                Remi

Remigius K. Mommsen                 e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of California, Irvine       URL:      home.cern.ch/mommsen
c/o SLAC                             voice:        ++1 (650) 926-3595
2575 Sand Hill Road #35             mobile:        ++1 (650) 387-1402
Menlo Park, CA 94025, US               fax:        ++1 (650) 926-8522