On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 08:39 PM, Daniel Wyeth wrote:

The environment variables "should" be set up properly although it wouldn't be the first time that I'd messed up something obvious, which I then spent days trying to solve. The root of my fink installation is:
Well, that depends. Apple's X11 doesn't include the user's environment like XonX's did.

I have included init.csh in /etc/csh.cshrc:

	source '/usr/local/ports/bin/init.csh'
X uses /bin/sh for it's xinitrc stuff, so csh changes wouldn't do anything.

Was it just that the variables in /etc/csh.cshrc aren't exported into the X11 environment ( i.e. the source .../.../init.csh line needs to exist in .xinitrc ) or is it that I need to execute startkde from here in order to use a KDE application? If it is necessary to use the startkde script, I am guessing that it should be possible to use a quartz-wm in place KWin by modifying the script?
Yes, although quartz-wm doesn't understand KDE/Gnome window-manager hints, so you end up with title bars on stuff that shouldn't have it (like the KDE panel).