When I launch gnome2, with either XDarwin or Apple's x11 (I have both), the gnome startup graphic shows briefly, the startup sound starts to play but doesn't finish, and gnome immediately quits. There is nothing suspicious in the console or .gnome-error log files.

I'm thinking that it is the new sound manager in 10.2.5. KDE works fine, but the sound is just loud hissing unless I turn off full-duplex. Oh yeah, I use xfree86 4.2. moving ~/.gnome* and ~/.gconf* didn't help.

Recently, I updated all the pango stuff and new gtk+2 packages, plus I upgraded to system 10.2.5, so I don't know which of these caused it. Maybe it is time to go to xfree86 4.3.