Martin Costabel wrote:

Benjamin Reed wrote:
[]

It should in theory be harmless, the error will go away if you either upgrade to fink 0.17.0 or install the dev tools.

"or"? IIUC even with fink-0.17.0 one needs the X11SDK package from the dev tools (xcode CD). This raises a more principal question:

I meant for the warning to go away. Not for his original problem.

Do we now, on Panther, require the dev tools even for the binary distribution? On 10.2, there were one or two packages that used make or ranlib for the installation of the binaries and therefore required the dev tools (scilab for example), but these were extreme exceptions. The general consensus was not to require the dev tools. With the x11 virtual package this seems to be impossible now.

The problem is that we need to change things around if we want to provide things correctly.

The issue is that we provide "x11-shlibs" if you have x11, but not the sdk. I considered having it provide "x11", but that would bring back the problem of providing a dependency that isn't necessarily met. (if it were to Provide: x11, things would think the userland part is enough to build against, and they'd be wrong).

system-xfree86 used to just provide everything, because it couldn't know. Now that it's a virtual it can. Previously, we pretty much required the SDK regardless.

Perhaps I should change it to do this:

if libX11 is found, Provide: x11-shlibs
if XDarwin or Xquartz (or whatever other X server names exist) are found, Provide: x11
if the headers are found, Provide: x11-dev

and then we should update all of our BuildDepends: on x11 to instead BuildDepends: on x11-dev.

Thoughts?

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick -- http://ranger.befunk.com/
gpg: 6401 D02A A35F 55E9 D7DD  71C5 52EF A366 D3F6 65FE