On Aug 24, 2007, at 2:24 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:

> John Dalbec wrote:
>> On Aug 21, 2007, at 1:30 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:
> []
>> Another thing I tried in order to get "fink selfupdate" to delete /
>> sw/ fink.old before trying to move /sw/fink out of the way was to
>> "mv /sw/ fink/dists /sw/finkdists" and rerun selfupdate twice.
>> That didn't  help and the selfupdate seemed to reconstruct /sw/
>> fink/dists so I  deleted /sw/finkdists.  Is there information
>> about installed packages  in /sw/fink/dists?
>
> The only problem with repeated selfupdates - or rather repeated
> switches between selfupdate-rsync and selfupdate-svn - is that fink
> is renaming the previous /sw/fink to /sw/fink.old, and when there
> is already an existing /sw/fink.old it doesn't know what to do and
> crashes.
>
> Therefore you need to move /sw/fink.old out of the way manually or
> delete it. Anything else should be left to fink selfupdate.

OK, so that is Working As Designed.

> In particular, the symbolic link /sw/fink/dists should be left in
> place.

The reconstructed /sw/fink/dists (from when I ran "mv /sw/fink.tmp /
sw/fink") is not a symbolic link.  Let me try moving it out of the
way and creating a symlink as you describe.  Fink selfupdate reported
errors and suggested "fink scanpackages".  I ran "fink scanpackages"
and "fink index".  Now fink selfupdate succeeds but does not create /
sw/fink.old.  What would cause that?  "fink list -i" seems to be
working now.  I'll try "fink update-all" later.
Thanks,
John