The software is great, but how come it's so messy on the start?

I am starting Gnome, and have to click on the screen to place the bars,
applications... this isn't pretty at all, and not like the screenshots show.

I've been looking for documentation on how to configure this beast, but were
not successful.

Can someone point me on the right direction?

Sorry if this sounds "complainy", I love the software, believe it to be
really useful, but those horrible green bars, ouch!

Thanks a lot.
__
Chäïnÿ