Xavier HUMBERT wrote:
> Alexander K. Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Fink's perl packages are supposed to be able to coexist with the
>> system's perl.  As for "why", we don't know what was in your local
>> list of packages to be updated.
>
> I can produce here the rather long listing, but please notice that it
> happened right after selfupdate, ie, those packages that are
> updated/installed without user interaction, linke fink itself, or
> readline, e.g.

This has a good reason: Suppose you have some *-pm586 package installed,
as most people on Tiger will have. If you update to Leopard, you won't
have any perl-5.8.6 any more, and those *-pm586 packages will cease to
work.

In addition, on Tiger you have system-perl586 plus a bunch of virtual
*-pm586 packages that show up as installed, because they are provided by
the system perl. These will disappear when you update to Leopard, and
any packages depending on one of these will have non-met dependencies,
which will throw apt-get into deep despair and prevent you from using it.

In short, if you would upgrade to Leopard without having a
Fink-installed perl-5.8.6, chances are that your Fink will not work any
more.

Once you have successfully upgraded, you can remove all pm586 packages
and the perl586-core package, if you don't have installed packages that
depend explicitly on one of these.

--
Martin