>Can you please post the output of "fink --version"?  You may have
>tried a selfupdate from a Leopard-noncompliant Fink.

[fiddle:~] joe% fink --version
Package manager version: 0.27.10
Distribution version: 0.8.1.cvs i386

>Your problem is that emacs21 doesn't even exist on Leopard
>(presumably because it doesn't work):
>
>http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/emacs21
>
>and you shouldn't have been able to install it at all.
>
>Unfortunately, the emacsen-common package relies on the various
>emacs* binaries to be able to run to do its work.  This is fine for
>a primarily-tested-binary situation like Debian, from where we
>derived the package, but in handling packages built from source it
>can be a bit fragile.
>
>If you don't want to reinstall Fink, then try doing a "fink remove
>emacs21" and see what complaint you get from emacsen-common.  You'll
>then want to hack the relevant line (e.g. from emacs-common-remove)
>not to run the emacs command, so you can remove emacs21.

Seems to run without hacks????

>   Then do another "fink remove emacs21" and hopefully  it will be
>gone.   Lastly, do a "fink reinstall emacsen-common" to restore the
>file you edited.

Thanks for the suggestions. With emacs21 out of the way, I seem to be
picking up the version that comes with Darwin that runs OK, though I
don't seem to be able to get to run in a point-and-click X-window :-(

[fiddle:~] joe% which emacs
/usr/bin/emacs

[fiddle:~] joe% emacs -version
GNU Emacs 22.1.1
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.