Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2008, at 2:46 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:
>
>> Jean-François Mertens wrote:
>> []
>>> but right, if true it would encourage a fast update of anything in
>>> fink to gcc43
>>
>> I too have come round to the conclusion that this is indeed the best
>> plan for action at this moment. I would suggest that we band
>> together and do this update rather quickly.
>>
>> I am CCing fink-devel so that the maintainers of the 28 packages
>> concerned get a chance to act, but I think we should just test this
>> upgrade for each of these packages and then simply go ahead and
>> change any package that builds correctly with gcc43. As far as I
>> know, no problem with the switch from gcc42 to gcc43 has yet been
>> reported.
>>
>> Here are the package descriptions concerned:
>>
>> graphics/pdftk.info
>> libs/cfitsio.info
>> sci/atlas.info
>> sci/avl.info
>> sci/cernlib2005.info
>> sci/dx.info
>> sci/fftw.info
>> sci/fftw3.info
>> sci/geant4.8.info
>> sci/geant4.9.info
>> sci/gopenmol.info
>> sci/hdf5.info
>> sci/libnc-dap3.info
>> sci/netcdf-gfortran.info
>> sci/octave-forge.info
>> sci/octave.info
>> sci/octplot.info
>> sci/patchy4.info
>> sci/plplot.info
>> sci/qprop.info
>> sci/root-pythia.info
>> sci/root5-devel.info
>> sci/root5.info
>> sci/scilab.info
>> sci/scipy-py.info
>> sci/wip.info
>> sci/xfoil.info
>> utils/clamav.info
>>
>> --
>> Martin
>
> I continue to have problems with building the bleeding-edge octave
> sources. Unfortunately the "bus error" I encounter leaves gdb useless
> to me :-(
>
> In a nut shell, I'm unable to execute "A\B" or "mldivide(A,B)" in
> octave for more than 96 eqns/unknowns.
>
> It is has been pointed out that using gcc 4.0.1 (Apple's vecLib) will
> conflict with gfortran 4.1+, due to type mismatches resulting from how
> gfortran treats functions. I haven't looked at the detail, but when I
> googled, "gfortran ff2c type mismatch" quite a bit showed up.
>
> The suggested solution is to add "-ff2c" to the fortran compile
> parameters.
>
> I can't vouch for any of this, but if someone can tell me what to
> change in the atlas.info to pass "-ff2c" to gfortran, I can test
> suggested solution and report back.
>
> Ben

Update, I built octave using gfortran with -ff2c added to the configure
parameters and passed all tests included in "make check"

./configure '--prefix=/sw' 'FLIBS=/sw/lib/gcc4.3/lib/libgfortran.dylib'
'F77=/sw/bin/gfortran' '--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib' 'CFLAGS=-g -O3'
'LDFLAGS=-g -L/sw/lib' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/include' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O3' 'FFLAGS=-g
-O3 -fbounds-check -ff2c' '--without-blas' '--without-lapack'

The lapack and blas were satisfied by the versions included in Octave's
libcruft.

Ben