On Friday, March 21, 2008, at 02:02PM, "Jean-François Mertens" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On 20 Mar 2008, at 00:35, Ben Abbott wrote:
>> On Mar 14, 2008, at 2:46 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:
>>
>>> Jean-François Mertens wrote:
>>> []
>>>
>>> I too have come round to the conclusion that this is indeed the best
>>> plan for action at this moment. I would suggest that we band
>>> together and do this update rather quickly.
>>> Martin
>>
>> I continue to have problems with building the bleeding-edge octave
>> sources. Unfortunately the "bus error" I encounter leaves gdb useless
>> to me :-(
>>
>> In a nut shell, I'm unable to execute "A\B" or "mldivide(A,B)" in
>> octave for more than 96 eqns/unknowns.
>Is this with octave-atlas from fink unstable, unmodified ?
>Else it is your problem...
>
>> It is has been pointed out that using gcc 4.0.1 (Apple's vecLib) will
>> conflict with gfortran 4.1+, due to type mismatches resulting from how
>> gfortran treats functions. I haven't looked at the detail, but when I
>> googled, "gfortran ff2c type mismatch" quite a bit showed up.
>  This is exactly the reason why we
>upgraded fast all basic fortran packages to gcc43.
>For programs that would use both Apple's vecLib and gcc43,
>I agree there is a risk.
>But I'm sure octave-atlas doesn't use veclib.
>
>> The suggested solution is to add "-ff2c" to the fortran compile
>> parameters.
>'Solution to what ?
>

>> I can't vouch for any of this, but if someone can tell me what to
>> change in the atlas.info to pass "-ff2c" to gfortran, I can test
>> suggested solution and report back.
>This would really be the worst thing to do..
>atlas is what allows you to be in straight gcc43 setting
>
>JF Mertens

JF,

When I wrote the prior email, the atlas.info file on my mac didn't mention
gcc42 or gcc43 (at least I didn't see it). I selfupdated since, and now see
gcc43 is needed to build.

Regarding -ff2c, I had been advised to build octave using -ff2c with gcc4.1/2/3
so that the result would be compatible with gcc 4.0.1.

In any event, thanks for the comments.

One final note, the octave developers have made some changes that allows the
bleeding-edge octave to build correctly using Fink's octave.info file (with the
necessary change to the version numbers).

Ben