Well... It basically shows up in configure saying

checking for X... no

That holds true for any package that checks for it... I only found it
in trying to install
libxfce4mcs3-4.2.3-1003, but other packages seem to have the same
problem.
I'm not too good when it comes to shell scripting, but to me it looks
like the problem is
in the configure script... X11 itself seems to be fine, as Gimp.app
works.
Actually, a small app that uses the X11 libs for debugging GUI apps
just built fine, but it
doesn't have a configure script... (It is called xdotool, if that
matters -- just something I found
in an old backup for a test...)
The only idea I have on why this might happen is that some kind of
environment variable
is unset in snowleo, which used to be set in older OS X versions...

That's about it -- I can't think of anything else that could be of any
help at all...

Jan