It doesn't actually work on on a 10.5 setup which doesn't have a
/usr/X11/bin/xmkmf, either.  That's the normal state of X11s that were
installed after OS 10.5.2 or so.  People who started at 10.5.0 may still
have it, since Software Update doesn't remove it, nor does the X11
installer from macosforge.org, so maintainers often miss that.

A lot of packages check for xmkmf in the PATH as their X11 detection
system.  Some of them are nice enough to provide alternate configure
parameters to get around that, so we can add :

        --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib    --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include

to the ConfigureParams (arguments to the configure script).
Some packages, however, don't do that, and we have options to get around
this lack, via our own xmkmf package and passing an environment variable
or even setting the PATH appropriately.

Basically, file a report for each individual package that you want which
is having this problem and we'll come up with a fix.
- --
Alexander Hansen
Fink User Liaison