> On Jun 1, 2016, at 08:42, Stefan Bruda <ste...@bruda.ca> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> After the latest XQuartz update (to version 2.7.9) XEmacs refuses to
> run under X (but runs just fine in a terminal).  Here is how it fails:
>
> < godel:~ > xemacs
> Error: attempt to add non-widget child "*scratch*" to parent "Buffers" which
> supports only widgets
>
> To be on the safe side I did an selfupdate, update-all, and then
> rebuild XEmacs but the issue remains.
>
> The environment is as follows:
>
> < godel:~ > sw_vers
> ProductName:  Mac OS X
> ProductVersion:       10.10.5
> BuildVersion: 14F1808
> < godel:~ > fink list xcode
> Information about 9387 packages read in 1 seconds.
> i   xcode                7.2.0.0.1.1447  [virtual package representing the
> developer tools]
> i   xcode.app            7.2.1-1         [virtual package representing Xcode]
>
> Advice is much appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan
>
> --
> Stefan D. Bruda, PhD
> Professor of Computer Science
> Bishop's University
> 2600 College St, Sherbrooke, Quebec J1M 1Z7, Canada
> Phone: +1-819-822-9600 x2374, Fax: +1-819-822-9661
> Web: <http://bruda.ca>, Email: <ste...@bruda.ca>
> PGP public key: <http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD5DD6092>
> * No HTML emails and proprietary attachments please <http://bruda.ca/ascii>
> * Quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

Thanks for the report.  This is due to a compatibility break in libXt.

I’m still on Xquartz-2.7.8, so I have:

Fionna-3:crypto hansen$ otool -L /sw/bin/xemacs | grep Xt
        /opt/X11/lib/libXt.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current
version 7.0.0)

Xquartz 2.7.9 introduced libXt.dylib -> libXt.7.dylib, and libXt.7.dylib is
incompatible with some older windowing technologies.

The xemacs build will need to be modified to to use /opt/X11/lib/libXt.6.dylib
, which fortunately is still present for legacy compatibility.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison