Hi all,

i wrote this RFC by request of one local company which have (as many others)
wrote own replicator and got some issues which could be resolved very easy
with a little support from the Firebird engine side. I think we could discuss
it and
determine if requested feature could add some value to the engine for wider
audience.

  Their software (replicator) add's some service field(s) to the customer tables
to track changes. In most cases it doesn't harm and customer software works
as expected, i.e. ignores unknown for it new fields. But there are two cases
when such service fields could change application's logic and even broke it. I
mean queries where list of fields is not set explicitly by a programmer but
expanded by the engine in run-time:
a) select * from table
b) insert into table values (...)

  So, the proposition is simple: add ability for engine to distinguish such
service
fields and not include it into auto expanded list of fields for table or view
at the
queries above. I.e. service fields is fully accessible if present in query text
explicitly
and "hidden" otherwise.

  I prefer to discuss implementation details after (if) we agreed on
feasibility of
such feature.

Comments, ideas are welcome ;)
Vlad