On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Dimitry Sibiryakov <s...@ibphoenix.com> wrote:
> Set up bidirectional replication between old server with old FB version and
> new version
> with 3.0. This way you can move load from old server to new one step-by-step
> and if any
> problem appear, return users back to old server in no time without loosing
> (much) data.

The replication might work, but as I know how the updates are flowing,
we would very likely had a lot of collisions. A that needs to be
somewhat solved.

But the real problem is switching from old to new and vice versa.
There's maybe 50 different applications running using this database
(some even from PSQL). As I can do step by step from old to new, when
disaster happens (and it will) I would need to switch back quickly
(and I mean really quickly). Not a viable path with 50 apps.

Isn't there a way to "forward" traffic to two servers, but taking only
one as "master" and the other one just doing the work for nothing
(actually for testing)? I don't want to write such proxy myself. :)

--
Jiri {x2} Cincura (x2develop.com founder)
http://blog.cincura.net/ | http://www.ID3renamer.com