On 2018-02-28 19:26, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
This thread become full of offtopic discussion... Discussion here is
about date/time separators, for consistency and correct handling of
time zone offsets.

As Firebird accepts everything (spaces, commas, minus, etc) as
separators, that is very problematic to separate the time and timezone
offset portions, as they should be separated by a space followed or
not by a minus or plus sign (the sign is optional) and a number.

If you follow the format in the SQL standard, then sign is not optional, and there should be no whitespace between the time and the offset.

Why not the following solution: offset in a literal or cast from string is only supported with the SQL standard format, all other formats result in an error. Casting to char/varchar of a time with time zone or timestamp with time zone will always result in the SQL standard format. If we want to support alternative formats, we should implement the format-clause of cast.

For time without time zone or timestamp without time zone, we should consider deprecating the old formats with the intent of phasing it out, and maybe extending the format-clause with options not supported in the SQL standard to cover the existing formats supported.