On 10/05/18 17:12, Vlad Khorsun via Firebird-devel wrote:
10.05.2018 19:02, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
On 10/05/2018 12:53, Lester Caine wrote:
And how will the version of TZ data be handled! This is a key element
that has screwed normalized data in the past, and some way to manage
that normalized data needs to be included in the process.

If you mean "normalize data" as the fact that people uses an outdated
time zone db, insert data in the database on the outdated time zone, and
later update the db, the way to normalize data is up to the user/admin.

   I guess the question is about the case when users have historical data
and need to apply old time zone rule to the old data and new timezone rule
to the new data.

   Is it possible\make sence to add a datetime field with "valid from"
mark ? Or something like that, some kind of version mark.

This is exactly the problem, and using TZ data direct is the only reliable way to manage the CURRENT TZ rules. So as long as we can switch off ICU data then this may work, otherwise it is just another waste of time! In my case all the TZ material is managed via the PHP timezone classes and that uses the TZ data direct so there needs to be SOME management of just which rules Firebird is using 'automatically'?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL