On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 10:49:14 +0300
Roman Simakov <roman.sima...@gmail.com> wrote:

> чт, 24 янв. 2019 г. в 10:25, liviuslivius
> <liviusliv...@poczta.onet.pl>:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have thinked about oltp comparision, and i think that comparing
> > e.g. classic vs superserver on RAM disc is wrong. Why? Because read
> > from "disc" is as fast as read from cache.
>
> This case eliminates disc problems and allow to highlight other ones.
> In other words RAM simulates the very good system IO like a PCIe-SSD.

Except not all SSDs are the same. There is an interesting video from
linus tech tips here which gives an insight as to why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffzVc7ZB-o

Basically most newer SSDs use more layers which means real world
performance is now worse than for SLC based SATA SSDs from a few years
back. The video reviews an intel ssd, but I've done (firebird-based)
tests with a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 which also has poorer performance
under heavy load than an older SATA based SSD.

It is easy to think that m.2 must be better than PCIe which must be
better than SATA but the reality is that the internal design of the NAND
is the most important.

It is interesting also to note that the load test I mentioned above with
a RAM disk based DB also behaved differently to both the RAID10 HDD test
and the tests with different SSDs. Number of CPUs did not seem to be as
important.

So, to summarize, in my opinion a RAM disc does simulate a very good
system IO. But this is NOT synonymous with the IO from a real disc
subsystem. Basically a RAM disc will reduce IO to the absolute
minimum available with today's technology. But it is probably not the
most suitable location to host a firebird database so the performance
results would be invalid.

Paul
--

Paul Reeves