On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 16:34:38 +0100
Dimitry Sibiryakov <s...@ibphoenix.com> wrote:

>    Hello All.
>
>    Do Inno Setup 6 have any significant advantage for Firebird over
> currently used version 5?

No is probably the short answer.

The new features are mildy interesting. but nothing jumps out as a muct
have.

  User resizable dialogs would be a nice addition (at least I think they
are user resizable at install time), but the existing code already
resizes dialogs where necessary. And I hate non resizable dialogs.
Microsoft being one of the worst offenders.

  Do we need to support Admin and non-Admin installs? Who would use a
non-Admin install? It is a long time since I used Windows in a locked
down corporate environment. Is requiring admin privileges a problem?

  The support for side-by-side installs is interesting, but I wonder if
it is a step too far. I can quickly see that getting too complicated
too quickly, as the (un)installer tries to work out what has already
been installed and what it can safely uninstall. Best to leave that to
manual installation, imo.

But I guess we should upgrade anyway. Perhaps a more pertinent question
would be too ask whether we need to stick with v5. We haven't hacked
the code. We just use InnoSetup from a standard install so there is no
reason to stay with an older version unless v6 actually breaks the
existing install script.

Paul
--

Paul Reeves