On 2020-08-10 20:13, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
10.08.2020 18:58, Vlad Khorsun wrote:
To summarize - I withdraw my initial agreement to add CRC32 calculation to function HASH(). The only argument for this is same name in plain english for different purpose things.

   Very good, thanks.

  Shouldn't then HASH() to be renamed into CRYPT_HASH() to prevent further discussions?..

Appears you are right. We should better have separate functions for lookup & crypto hashes.

HASH(value USING alg) returning integer
    and
CRYPT_HASH(value USING alg) returning varbinary

As soon as we want alrgorithm name in variable we can make that form of HASH() return maximum required integer (up to int128 if we support something like MurmurHash3) and appropriate form of CRYPT_HASH() return vabinary of maximum required length.