> On 23-05-2021 19:58, Leyne, Sean wrote:
> > A comment from a "simple language" POV.
> >
> > While "IV" or "Initialization Vector" are the technically correct terms, I
> > would
> suggest that we use the term "seed" or "salt" instead.
> >
> > A much simpler terms that directly convey purpose, without needing for
> someone to google "IV".
>
> It would not, because seed and salt have an entirely different and more
> limited meaning in cryptography than IV.

They may be technically different, they are, from an English language POV, they
are synonyms.

In all cases, "seed", "salt" or "IV" describe parameters which are used to
*initialize* their related encryption / hashing / random number functions.

I agree that their use is different as needed by their respective algorithms,
but that doesn't change what they refer to.

I will move on.

Sean