I have recently added support for the IBatch interface to IBX and the good news that it all appears to work fine. However, I am still puzzled by why inline blobs exist.

For as long as I can remember, Firebird has allowed you to over-ride the input metadata SQLType to any other type that can be converted to the actual column type. For example, SQL_BLOB to SQL_VARYING. You can then pass a relatively short blob string as an SQL_VARYING (character id to OCTETS for binary, and otherwise as appropriate) and with no need to go to all the hard work of actually creating a blob,etc. I assume that it is on the server side that the string gets written into blob storage and would not expect it to be otherwise.

In all my testing, passing blob text as SQL_VARYING works fine for both normal update/insert operations and for batches using IBatch. So I am puzzled as to why the IBatch inline blob exists. What am I missing?

Tony Whyman

MWA