Hello Paul,

Wednesday, March 23, 2016, 12:25:37 AM, PaulV wrote:

> Hi all,

>> > p.39   Number constants
>>
>> > For hexadecimal notation, isn't there something
>> > about the sign that deserves mention here?
>> > The example uses 0X08000000 - the first 0 after the X does serve some
>> > purpose.
>>
>> Aage, do you know about that "something"?  If yes, would you write
>> about it?

> I think he's referring to this:

> http://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/reference_manuals/reference_material/html/langrefupd25-hexnumerals.html,
> especially the information under 'Value ranges'.

> The line under Number Constants (in the LangRef beta):

>   "For BIGINT numbers, hexadecimal notation is supported by
> Firebird 2.5 and higher versions, e.g., 0X080000000 as the hex
> representation of decimal 2147483648."

> should be:

>   "Hexadecimal notation is supported by Firebird 2.5 and higher
> versions. Numbers with 1-8 hex digits (e.g. 0x325708) are parsed as
> INTEGER values, numbers with 9-16 hex digits (e.g. 0x198723457237) as BIGINT."

> More explanation about the value ranges and some pitfalls (see link
> above) can be given in Data Types and Subtypes :: Integer Data
> Types, before the start of the subsections.

> Also (I should have caught this during reviewing),

Actually, one reason you didn't catch it at that time is because there
was nothing there about hexadecimal - it came in a later build and I
just took what was in the release notes.  At that time I wasn't fully
aware of just how much of the LangUpdate25 stuff was missing.

Another thing we seem to have missed by the same method (!) was binary
strings in hex format.

Unless you have feelings against it, I should just pick up the
relevant source from LangUpdate25, slot it into the appropriate
places and cross-ref where needed.

Helen