> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM, André Knappstein
> <knappst...@beta-eigenheim.de> wrote:
>> As far as I understood this is because MS has put the classes required
>> for  "Extension" into another namespace in 4.5 than it was in 4.0

> I don't think MS did that. It would break the application even from compiling.

Okay,  it's  over  my head to get this correct in the necessary detail
:-)

I created a new test.
Using the following fbclient:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/firebird/files/firebird-net-provider/3.0.2/NETProvider-3.0.2.0.msi/download
titled  "Version  3.0.2  for  .NET  4.5/3.5/2.0  with Entity Framework
support" on a system with 4.0.3 only, I get the following exception:
Could not load type 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExtensionAttribute' from
assembly 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.
I  get  this  exception  whenever  an  FBException  should  be raised.
Provider itself is working fine.

Using instead the following fbclient:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/firebird/files/firebird-net-provider/3.0.2/NETProvider-3.0.2.0-NET40.7z/download
titled  "FirebirdClient  -  .NET  4.0, 7-Zip archive" on a system with
4.0.3 only, I do get the expected FBException

No problem for me, once I know what to load where and where to
install. I don't know if this will be a problem for others, though.

I  found  the  following  answer which seems realistic to me, though I
never used ILMerge and can't check too deep what else it might affect:
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/726702/moving-system-runtime-compilerservices-extensionattribute-to-mscorlib-breaks-structuremap-scans-of-namespaces-containing-extensionmethods-and-possibly-other-ioc-scenarios