>>Possible further enhancements during index re-creation would be to
re-create several indexes in parallel becoming more and more IO bound,
especially with low latency storage. >>>AFAIK InterBase added something
like that in a recent version. >>Potentially Firebird has that on the
roadmap as well.

yes, Interbase XE7 have this and restore speed is 2 times faster then in XE3
but it is still 2 times slower then restore time on FB3 ;)

We have 5GB database and times looks like with the same restore settings
buffers and others settings, and the same db structure and data:

IB XE3 - 93 minutes
IB XE7 - 45 minutes
FB 3- 26 minutes

Regards,