On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Ray Cote <rgac...@appropriatesolutions.com>
wrote:

> I’ve run into a problem while porting code over from the old
>  KInterbasDB library to the new FDB Python library. Receiving the error
> “-817 Metadata update statement not allowed any the current database SQL
> dialect 3” when attempting to create a table with NUMERIC(15, 3).
>
> My understanding is that this statement is fine for dialect 3, and should
> store as a BIGINT (page 135 of The Firebird Book). This code has been
> working fine with KInterbasDB.
>
> If I change NUMERIC(15,3) to NUMERIC(9,3) the code runs properly.
> Perhaps there’s something I’ve not set to allow the BIGINT storage?

As some self-followup, I know there can be issues with NUMERIC precisions
10 and over between dialects 1 and 3 — as per this note from Helen Borrie:

But I’m pretty sure I’m running dialect 3 here.
Tried creating the database and then re-connecting while setting
sql_dialect parameter to 3. Get same error.
The SQL runs fine in the isql client — just failing through FDB driver.
—Ray

--
Raymond Cote, President
voice: +1.603.924.6079 email: rgac...@appropriatesolutions.com skype: