  From: Mark Rotteveel m...@lawinegevaar.nl [firebird-support]
  To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2016 4:08 AM
  Subject: Re: [firebird-support] FB 3 issues with String from FB 2.54

  On 23-5-2016 03:45, fabia...@itbizolutions.com.au [firebird-support] wrote:
  > I have been trying to migrate from FB2.54 into FB 3 for a few weeks, and
  > after hitting a string related error for some time i have got to the
  > point where I do understand the issue, but I don't know how to solve it.
  > The issue is pretty simple, the FB 2.54 DB contains a few characters
  > that are not allowed into the FB 3 database, one example of a character
  > causing an error during the restore was "Mcgarrity’s" (note the ’) as it
  > appears to be outside the scope of the FB3 string domain, I have trying
  > creating a new FB3 DB with many different charsets but none works. The
  > other string causing issues is for example "΢ÈíÑźÚ", I have many
  > records with this type of strings because the DB contains raw emails
  > received by the system, stored into Varchars, and apparently some emails
  > contain very weird characters, all were handled by FB2.54 but FB3
  > rejects the records. I have been able to isolate all recrods with issues
  > using IBExpert's table data comparer function, as it created a script
  > with all recrods from all tables from FB2.54 and when running the script
  > against FB3.0 it singles out all the offending records.
  >
  > Can anyone advise what options I have available to force FB3.0 to accept
  > any stuff into string fields?

  In your other e-mail you indicate you solved this by changing the
  character set from ASCII to NONE. The fact it worked before was a bug,
  see http://tracker.firebirdsql.org/browse/CORE-3416. ASCII only supports
  characters 0-127, characters outside that range are 'extended ascii', eg
  one of the other singly by character sets like WIN1252 or ISO8859_1. The
  characters shown (΢ÈíÑÅºÚ and ’) are all outside the ASCII range.

  The last (’) is particularly nasty, because it should have been a '
  (u+0027 Apostrophe, ascii 39), instead u+2019 Right single quotation
  mark (character 146 in Windows-1252) was used.

  Given the context of e-mails either NONE or OCTETS is the only real
  option, as e-mails can have multiple parts with each their own character
  set, and can also have binary parts (although usually those are encoded
  with something like base64).

  Mark
  --
  Mark Rotteveel

  ------------------------------------
  Posted by: Mark Rotteveel <m...@lawinegevaar.nl>
  ------------------------------------

  Visit http://www.firebirdsql.org and click the Documentation item
  on the main (top) menu.  Try FAQ and other links from the left-side menu
there.

  Also search the knowledgebases at
http://www.ibphoenix.com/resources/documents/

  Yahoo Groups Links