The way I think of the Y-valve* is that the stem of the Y is the client -
whether the normal fbclient or the Java client or other language specific
clients.  The connection request goes from the client to a provider.
Right now, the providers are Remote (which may be built into the Y-valve)
and Engine12.  Someone could create a provider that translated Firebird
requests to Oracle/PostgreSQL/MySQL or whatever and offer a provider
to a different back end.  If there's enough demand, Firebird 2.5 could be
cut back to be a provider to older versions of Firebird.

So the stem is the client and the branches are the providers.

Cheers,

Ann

* Y-valve is a nautical term.  On a boat, the head (toilet) outflow goes
through
a Y-valve.  One leg takes the effluent to a holding tank, the other dumps it
overboard.  No parallel implied between what goes through the Firebird
Y-valve
and the nautical term.

  • [firebird-support... fabia...@itbizolutions.com.au [firebird-support]
    • Re: [firebir... 'Mark Rotteveel' m...@lawinegevaar.nl [firebird-support]