> ---- On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 15:48:15 -0500 Dimitry Sibiryakov
> mailto:s...@ibphoenix.com [firebird-support] <mailto:firebird-
> supp...@yahoogroups.com> wrote ----
>
> Changing metadata is a bad idea in general.
> Continuous development is the worst thing that can happen to a database.
>

> And that is the traditional database's Achilles Heel because "change" is
> inevitable and rapid change is a fact of life today.
>
> If Firebird were to bolster its support for dynamic changes it would become a
> much more attractive beast.

Firebird does support dynamic changes, you can change the database schema while
users are connected.

Dmitry was referring more to the inherent risks of using a production database
as a development platform -- schema changes need to be tested and carefully
applied.

In our case, we use strict SQL script numbering process along with a CI process
that ensures that all scripts are checked/tested against exemplar database*0*s
before a master script is created/applied.

Sean

  • [firebird-supp... kragh.tho...@yahoo.com [firebird-support]
    • Re: [fire... Helen Borrie hele...@iinet.net.au [firebird-support]
      • Re: [... Dimitry Sibiryakov s...@ibphoenix.com [firebird-support]