Friday, September 8, 2017, 9:31:43 PM, Adriano Novelli wrote:
> i use a odbc connection to connect to the database.

> on  every pc I have configured a odbc connection with the same name
> and  configured the database path by specifying the IP address of the server

> as I said before, if I do the db connection test from every single pc,
> everything works.

> I repeat the steps to replicate the problem:

> i create a db access 2007 and i put it in a shared folder (every pc
> have a mapped network drive (Z) to access this database

> 1) from pc 1, i open the db and link some tables u  sing a odbc
> connection. if i open (in access 2007) the linked table, i read the data
> 2) from pc 2, i open the db shared and i view the linked tables.
> if i open (in access 2007) the linked table, i have an odbc error "connection
> failed".
> 3) from pc 2, i remove the linked tables. using a odbc connection,
> i re-link the tables and now (on pc 2) i read the data!
> 4) at the moment, on pc 1 i can not read it anymore data from the linked
> tables

> in conclusion, I can read the tables data only on the pc that I use to link
> the tables

This is the behaviour you would see if your clients are using Embedded
to connect to the database.  This works only for one connection:  all
others are blocked until the active client detaches from the database.

Please understand the architecture.  For multiple users, you need the
full Firebird server installed and running as a service on the host
machine where the database is physically located.

Each user must make a remote connection to the physical location, not
to a share.

Let's say this host machine has the network name 'nostroserver' and
the database bdati.fdb is located in c:\dati.  This must not be a
share.

The full path to your database from each remote client is:

nostroserver:C:\dati\bdati.fdb

On his/her own computer, each client needs
(1) a copy of your software
(2) The Firebird ODBC driver
(3) A data source configured to connect to the database using the full
path quoted above
(4) The Firebird client fbclient.dll, copied from the server
installation.

The client components can be accessed on a share, if you like.

Note:
You need the 32-bit client if your software and driver are 32-bit.
If your server installation is 64-bit then the fbclient.dll in the
\bin\ directory there will not work with 32-bit clients.  You can
extract the 32-bit client from the \bin\ directory of the 32-bit zip
kit.

Helen

  • [firebird-suppo... Adriano Novelli adrianonove...@yahoo.it [firebird-support]
    • Re: [fireb... Dimitry Sibiryakov s...@ibphoenix.com [firebird-support]