The concept of "flow" might be useful here:

"Flow is the mental state of operation in which the person is fully
immersed in what he or she is doing by a feeling of energized focus,
full involvement, and success in the process of the activity.
Proposed by positive psychologist Mihály Csíkszentmihályi, the
concept has been widely referenced across a variety of fields." (From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology))

I believe it's reasonable to suppose that pursuit of the flow
experience characterises both the childhood and adult activities that
you describe here. I have recently taken up regular guitar practice
again, after a lapse of many years, and I find that my experience of
that, when I'm playing well -- which is also, invariably, when it is
most enjoyable -- fits the flow concept beautifully.

Robin Faichney

Tuesday, October 7, 2008, 11:31:46 AM, Pedro wrote:

> Dear colleagues,

> Maybe the social & market aspects of art are inevitable outcomes, given
> the curious role it plays in human life. It is similar to what happens
> with science itself ---from an aloof "nec-otium" activity in its
> historical origins to the R&D +i trite business of today. I would not
> enter in those social aspects right now, rather an anecdote on
> "movement" may be interesting:

> It is amazing how much of the life of a child is centered in challenging
> and exciting the system of balance&equilibrium (the "sixth sense"):
> crawling, climbing, cycling, rolling, spinning, jumping, skipping,
> skying, surfing,... schoolyards are the usual scenario for most of these
> exciting activities. No doubt that some of the balance fun persists in
> adulthood: amusement parks, tennis, soccer, ping pong, tai chi, yoga...

> Evolutionarily, this ontogenetic process of looking for exaggerated
> balance system excitations is rather anomalous in its length and
> intensity (to my info). The point is that the crave to explore every
> aspect of movement and balance in the physical environment of the child
> is gradually displaced toward the mental realm in the adult.  Using the
> same brain & cerebellum system machineries "the movement of the body"
> becomes  the "movement of thoughts and percepts" (McCredie, 2007).

> And here it is the bold question: does the child fascination for those
> exploratory-creative physical "disciplines" (crawling, climbing,
> spinning, etc.) become redirected so to be the basis of the adult
> fascination for the exploration of mental movements in painting,
> sculpting, dancing, singing, etc.?

> best

> Pedro

Robin Faichney