De: ssal...@binghamton.edu

Date: 01.04.2009 22:05

À: "Christophe Menant"<christophe.men...@hotmail.fr>

Copie: <fis@listas.unizar.es>

Objet: Re: [Fis] The notion of "meaning" in the COST proposal

Re: [Fis] The notion of &quot;meaning&quot; in the
COST proposal-->
Folks -- I think that meaning can be generalized to
contextuality.

I have proposed, for example, that meaning exists in occult form
in physics, in the function of constant variables in descriptive
equations.  We know that the values of constants in an equation
will influence the result.  So, if we have Y = aX^b, we are
putatively interested in the dyadic relations between X and Y.
But these relations depend upon the values of a and b (which might,
for example, be universal constants).   Given this role for
the constants, we in reality have triadic relations here, with the
constants representing the context.  Physical ideology has
obscured this by way of the 'epistemic cut', delineating the
distinction between observer and observed.  But, in utilizing the
values of the constants in order to calculate the value of Y, they
have actually pulled the constant values into the observer rather than
being associated with the observed, leaving X and Y in evidently
dyadic relations, without context.  In many cases this would seem
to be pragmatically reasonable because the values of some constants
may always be taken to be the same.  One branch of chaos theory
illuminated this by showing the range of different results one gets by
changing the constants instead of the variable parameters.

STAN

Thanks
Stan,

Biosemiotics can indeed be part of the story
(http://crmenant.free.fr/Biosemiotics3/INDEX.HTM ), but part only.

My point is about the importance of the notion of "meaning" when
talking about information. Interpretation of information (meaning
generation) is key when information is processed by finalized systems.
Our lives are embedded in meaning generation, from auto-immune disease
to the smile of the Joconde. Meaning generation has probably an
evolutionary story, and can deserves (I feel) a systemic approach
(http://cogprints.org/6279/ ). So I'm just kind of surprised not to
see the notion of meaning explicited in the proposal.

Perhaps Pedro could tell us more on this point.

All the best

Christophe