-------- Mensaje original --------
Asunto:         Re: [Fis] Curious chronicle
Fecha:  Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:32:39 +0200
De:     Wolfgang Hofkirchner <wolfgang.hofkirch...@tuwien.ac.at>
Para:   Pedro C. Marijuan <pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es>
CC:     fis@listas.unizar.es
Referencias: <4c3c3ae4.8000...@aragon.es> <20100713064753.12536drvrdist...@www.cbl.umces.edu> <4c44674d.7030...@aragon.es> <4c447648.1030...@capurro.de> <4c46c7ab.2030...@aragon.es>

dear pedro,

what you mention here is just what bothers me since long. in the scientific literature about the internet (both empirical and kind of philosophical) there are two positions to be found:

the first position is the optimistic one in which the potentialities of the new media are praised and the technical support for establishing new ties (bonds with people) are appreciated. the second position is rather cultural-critical and bemoans the rubbish that is multiplied by the net and the gadgets that mediate that.

i, for my part, guess, the truth is a little bit more complicated. the new ties you can establish are not only strong ties that you strengthen by technology (e.g. when i was abroad i skyped with my family) but also and predominantly weak ties that promote a kind of irresponsibility because you can enter a "community" and – that's more important – leave it whenever you want without sanctions being there. thus my research question: how can we shape icts in order to foster real communities?

wolfgang

http://hofkirchner.uti.at/