As my last for this week:

Replying to Walter --  The dark matter and dark energy examples are not very
strong as examples of demonstrating discoveries rather than invention!
 These are stand-ins, just names, for disparities between predictions and
observations.  They are provisionally (I hope!) accepted because they fit
into the current 'standard model'.  In my view, a much neater way to solve
the disparity leading to the dark matter idea would be too accept that the
gravitation constant, g, is not constant everywhere or at al times.  But
that would not fit well into the Standard Model, and would impair the
ability to do certain calculations because one needs some constants in order
to solve equations.

who replies:

Stan,

Your notes help me to make my point much clear, thanks.

 These cases are not truly adequate, I accept that, but they would if they
were actually confirmed.

 What I wanted to refer to is about the power of conditionals:

 “If dark matter and dark energy are not provisional, but becomes highly
confirmed then the Standard Model needs important revisions”

And also, I wanted to draw attention to the conceptual changes:

- One interesting example is the discovery that speed of light is a
fundamental constant of the universe and its impact in the way it produces a
change (from Newtonian to Relativity theories).

 - The case of second law of thermodynamics in times of Maxwell is an
interesting one.

 - Another is the case in times of Kepler: his elliptical orbits and the
conflict with the more accepted celestial circularity

I guess this capacity is inherent in science (to be open to changes
fundamentally by the discovery of new facts) it is certainly not the case in
other human activity.

 Sincerely,

 Walter