From: fis-boun...@listas.unizar.es [mailto:fis-boun...@listas.unizar.es] On
Behalf Of Igor Gurevich
Sent: den 20 december 2010 12:28
To: Pedro C. Marijuan
Cc: fis@listas.unizar.es
Subject: Re: [Fis] Closing Comments?

Dear Pedro C. Marijuan!
Dear Dear Colleagues!

DEFINITION OF CONCEPT “INFORMATION”

1) D. Doucette in work “Challenges for Those Constructing a Science of
Information as an Evolving Unique Discipline” presented at Fourth
International Conference on the Foundations of Information Science:
Towards a new science of information (FIS 2010), Beijing, China, 21-24
August 2010 (2010) has defined “Science of Information”: “In
establishing the new evolved information discipline, there should be
some initial awareness that information is a part of all elements,
systems, conditions and is therefore also an integral part of the
other individual disciplines and sciences. In studying information
phenomena, it is essential to look beyond the limitations of how human
use and perceive information, or even how living organisms' uses
information. It is proposed that information is a continuous evolving
process that exists in some simple to complex form in every stage of
development across all science and academia domains as well as being a
significant part of everything that exists. Information is a trigger
mechanism, emphasis and nutrient for not only information activities
but also all physical biological elements, systems and activities”.
2) If we want to create “Science of Information” we must use single,
unified, unique definition of the “information” concept. I suggested
it [Gurevich I.M. Law of informatics - a basis of researches and
designing of complex communication and management systems. (In
Russian). «Ecos». Moscow. 1989. 60 p.].
«Information is heterogeneity, stable for some definite time of the
arbitrary physical nature. Thereby, a letter in a book, an atom, a
molecule, an elementary particle, a star, a drawing, a pattern, a
ploughed field, a wood and other heterogeneities contain and carry the
information».
 “Information is heterogeneity, stable for some definite time”.
Regardless of the nature of heterogeneity, would be it letters, words,
phrases or - elementary particles, atoms, molecules, or - people,
groups, societies, etc.
The measure of the degree of heterogeneity or information is Shannon's
information entropy and other information characteristics (information
divergence, joint entropy, communication information).
The proposed definition and the Shannon information entropy and other
information characteristics can describe information (heterogeneity)
of any nature.
3) The definitions of homogeneity and heterogeneity.
Consider a set M of elements m. If the elements m are the same,
identical (not different from each other), then the set M is
homogeneous. If the elements m are not the same, no identical
(differing one from other), then the set M is no homogeneous.
4) Types of information.
4.1. Classical information. Time of existence of the heterogeneity is
infinite. This is absolutely stable heterogeneity.
4.2. Macroinformation (by Chernavsky). Time of existence of the
heterogeneity is not less than the time of existence of the system.
This is essentially stable heterogeneity.
I4.3. Information. Time of existence of the heterogeneity is less than
the time of existence of the system, but more then the time course of
processes in the system. This is stable for some definite time
heterogeneity.
4.4. Microinformation (by Chernavsky). Time of existence of the
heterogeneity is essentially less than the time of existence of the
system. This is unstable heterogeneity.
[Chernavsky D.S. Synergetics and Information (dynamic information
theory). Issue 2-e Corr. and add. Moscow. URSS. (In Russian). 2004.
288 p.].
5) The information (heterogeneity) is an objective reality. Its
existence does not depend on availability of Observer. For example:
heterogeneity (elementary particles, atoms, molecules) possess certain
information (and physical) characteristics, properties (properties of
the first order), in particular they contains certain volume of the
information.
6) Availability of Observer can give for the information
(heterogeneity) new properties (property of the second order) –
perception, content, sense, value, …
Note. Information properties of heterogeneity (properties of the first
order) determine the fundamental limitations on property of the second
order.
7) Observer perceives, locates, remembers the information
(heterogeneity). The Observer shapes system of the standards
(concepts) describing the information (heterogeneity), perceives the
information (heterogeneity) within the limits of the generated system
of standards (concepts), shapes language of the description of the
information (heterogeneities), describes the information
(heterogeneity), classifies the information (heterogeneity), shapes
knowledge base, shapes the new information (heterogeneity), makes he
information actual (within the limits of the possibilities).
Observer is forming mind, intelligence  at work on the information.
The level of mind, intellect of Observer is defined by volume
processed (stored) information and productivity (speed) of work on the
information.
8) If there are several Observers, each of which forms his own
standards (concepts) the information, shapes language of the
description of the information, shapes knowledge base is necessary
single, unified, unique definition of the “information” concept.  If
we use different definitions of information we will receive
assessments, results that can not be compared, from which is
impossible to generalize. Information can not be adequately
interpreted.

Best wishes,
Igor Gurevich.

И.Гуревич