Dear Joseph,

> I feel that in point 3. of your note you describe a key to time but you do
> not use it!

Right. The last time, I skipped over something. The issue is how to
descriptively approach phenomenological time via the interplay between real,
physical systems without prior reference to the flow of time on the global
scale. My intended entry for this endeavor has been to pay attention to some
physical body remaining invariant while being constantly involved in exchanging
its constituent subunits. That is to say, once a molecular aggregate happens to
appear whose class identity is kept intact while the constituent subunits
constantly come and go, the through-flow maintaining the class identity of the
aggregate can superficially be associated with the flow of time as we know of
it in the contradictory sense that while passing away constantly, time remains
as time as keeping its identity. The flow of time here is only taken as “a
representation”, or an anthropocentric metaphor at best, of the material
through-flow as a decisive factor for keeping the class identity of a physical
body at the cost of the vicissitude of the individual identities of the
constituent subunits. The cyanobacterial circadian clocks are just an empirical
example of keeping the class identity of a KaiC hexamer while constantly
exchanging or shuffling the monomeric KaiC subunits.

>The objective, as you have written well earlier, is to better understand the
>interplay of what we call the tenses in language.

   The underlying issue is how can we construct the flow of time from the
tenses. When the constant update of the present perfect tense in the present
progressive tense is referred to in the finished record,  we can perceive the
flow of time as driven by the transitive verb “update” in the present tense,
though only in retrospect. This updated version of the flow of time in
retrospect exhibits a marked contrast to the flow of time riding on the
intransitive verb “flow” in the present tense unconditionally, the latter of
which is common to the standard practice of physical sciences even including
relativity.  The occurrence of the perfect tense is due to the act of
measurement of material origin distinguishing between the before and after its
own act, while its frequent update in the progressive tense will be
necessitated so as to meet various conservation laws such as  material or
energy flow continuity to be registered in the record, e. g., not to leave the
failure in meeting the flow continuity behind. The KaiC hexamers of
cyanobacteria are involved in the constant update of the prefect tense in the
progressive tense.

>How is that for using time as a synthetic construction rather than as an
>analytical tool?!

   The flow of time read by the externalist, say, by Ptolemy-Newton, into an
invariant cyclic motion of the stellar configuration displayed over the sky is
enigmatic in relating a cyclic movement of physical bodies to a linear movement
of something else called time. A less ambitious approach could be to relate a
linear movement of physical bodies to the linear movement of time even if the
latter is an anthropocentric artifact, unless the artifact interferes with the
physical bodies. The flow of time read-into by the physicist implies no linear
flow of time in the absence of the physicist as leaving only the original
cyclic motions behind. That must be quite stifling.  In contrast, appreciating
the material through-flow keeping the class identity of the supporting material
aggregate as being represented as the flow of time comes to imply that the
through-flow is informational in that it presumes both the message (e.g., the
subunits to be exchanged) and its dative (e.g., the aggregate processing their
exchanges). Both information and time, once set free from the read-into flow of
time,  are common in sharing the similar materialistic and energetic context in
incorporating the transitive verbs into themselves as holding the contrast
between the direct and the indirect object of a verb, that is to say, between a
message and its dative. Despite that, I am not quite sure at this moment
whether this synthetic view would merely be one step backward for the sake of
the likely two steps forward to come.

Best,

Koichiro