Dear Steven,

I would certainly not specify "meaning" as behavior, but consider it as an
operation internal to a system of reference. My research question in the
mentioned paper is how discursive knowledge can be considered as a further
codification in the communication of meaning ("a meaning that makes a
difference").

Meaning incurs on information with reference to a horizon of meanings.
Knowledge incurs on meaning as a next-order process of codification (i.e.,
selection). Discursive knowledge (different from tacit knowledge) can then
be communicated and globalized. Both the communication of meaning and
knowledge can be expected to generate redundancies: other possible meanings
or other possible states. This generates the possibility of replacement and
knowledge-based innovations.

Let me finish (this second contribution for this week) with the abstract:

Abstract
The development of discursive knowledge presumes the communication of
meaning as analytically different from the communication of information.
Knowledge can then be considered as a meaning which makes a difference.
Whereas the communication of information is studied in the information
sciences and scientometrics, the communication of meaning has been central
to Luhmann’s attempts to make the theory of autopoiesis relevant for
sociology. Analytical techniques such as semantic maps and the simulation of
anticipatory systems enable us to operationalize the distinctions which
Luhmann proposed as relevant to the elaboration of Husserl’s “horizons of
meaning” in empirical research: interactions among communications, the
organization of meaning in instantiations, and the self-organization of
interhuman communication in terms of symbolically generalized media such as
truth, love, and power. Horizons of meaning, however, remain uncertain
orders of expectations, and one should caution against reification from the
meta-biological perspective of systems theory.

For those interested: the preprint is available at
http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1011/1011.3244.pdf

Best wishes,
Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Professor, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-842239111
l...@leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/