Hi Joseph

Dear Gavin, Loet and Colleagues,

Gavin raises a fair question as to the reasons for my objection to the use
of category theory

with respect to information. My answer is that it suffers from the same
limitations as standard truth-functional logic, set theory and mereology:

Logic: absolute separation of premisses and conclusion

Set Theory: absolute separation of set and elements of the set

Mereology: absolute separation of part and whole

Category Theory: exhaustivity and absolute separation of elements of
different categories. (The logics of topoi are Boolean logics).

>From my limited working with Category Theory, it covers all the aspects you
mention above, the logic by the subobject classifier, sets as objects, plus
the arrows as functions. Associativity and identity as parts and wholes,
plus the axioms of a Topos, which is part (is the part of the whole) of an
object etc. (quantity, quality, variety, truth testing, unbounded-ness)

The whole point of category theory is to be able to map dynamical systems.

For complex process phenomena such as information,

I don't understand what's the complex part of information.

involving complementarity, overlap or physical interactions between
elements, these doctrines fail. The "mathematical conceptualization" they
provide does not capture the non-Markovian aspects of the processes involved
for which no algorithm can be written. If any algebra is possible, it must
be a non-Boolean one, something like that used in quantum mechanics extended
to the macroscopic level.

Is this not the whole point of Category theory.

Regards

Gavin

I have proposed a new categorial ontology in which the key categorial
feature is NON-separability. This concept would seem to apply to some of the
approaches to information which have been proposed recently, e.g. those of
Deacon and Ulanowicz. I would greatly welcome the opportunity to see if my
approach and its logic stand up to further scrutiny.

As Loet suggests, we must avoid confounding such a (more qualitative)
discourse with the standard one and translate meaningfully between them.
However this means, as a minimum, accepting the existence and validity of
both, as well as the possibility in principle of some areas of overlap,
without conflation.

Best,

Joseph