Joseph --

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Joseph Brenner <joe.bren...@bluewin.ch>wrote:

> **
>  Dear Gavin, Loet and Colleagues,
>
> Gavin raises a fair question as to the reasons for my objection to the use
> of category theory
> with respect to information. My answer is that it suffers from the same
> limitations as standard truth-functional logic, set theory and mereology:
>
> Logic: absolute separation of premisses and conclusion
> Set Theory: absolute separation of set and elements of the set
> Mereology: absolute separation of part and who

Category Theory: exhaustivity and absolute separation of elements of
> different categories. (The logics of topoi are Boolean logics).

SS: Your objection seems to me to imply a fatal disjunction between our
usual logics -- the basis of science -- and the actual (changing) world.
 For example, in biological ontogeny we begin at one scale, and GRADUALLy
assemble a larger scale.  During this transition the system is ambiguous as
to scale.  It is CHANGE which faults our thinking here, not the idea that a
developing embryo can be modeled as existing at more than one scale.  I
suppose you can then tell us that your system of logic (LIR) takes care of
this, by encompassing change as it happens.  Yes?

STAN