Dear Pedro,

I and I am sure most of us are grateful when you "open up" the debate in this
way. To go farther, though, people must be ready to ask many questions about
familiar concepts such as the following:

1. Are there serious alternatives to Aristotelian causality?
2. Is it possible to combine insights from "Heraclitus" and "Parmenides" to get
the advantages of both in complex domains?
3. Can "non-mechanistic" thought be expressed in sufficiently rigorous terms to
avoid slipping into non-sense and non-science?
accept the necessary changes in mind-set be related to genetic + environmental
factors that also determine other doubtful polarizations (like voting for
Romney-Ryan) or criminal behavior?

As I have tried to express them in this forum from time to time in relation to
other issues, my answer to all the above questions is "yes". But it takes new
work and a new attitude. As a personal example, I have asked about 12 (!)
mathematicians to help me express the calculus of implications of my Logic in
Reality in alternative, more familiar terms. None has either done so nor said
that it is not possible.

As another example, after some effort, the first article in proper English by
Wu Kun of the Institute for the Philosophy of Information in Xi'An has just
been published on-line in Information. People who assume, however, that his
view of philosophy is not of critical importance to information science are
making just the kind of mistake Pedro tells us to avoid! It is a
metaphilosophy, a recasting of the underlying assumptions of scientific -
natural and social - thought in informational terms. I urge you all to look at
it.

Best wishes,

Joseph