Hi Gordana, Robin, John and FIS colleagues,

On 19 Nov 2012, at 14:05, Gordana Dodig-Crnkovic wrote:

Dear Joseph,

I agree with you. I am also against totalitarianism.
Computationalism is not the world, it is only a modeling framework.
It is parallel to mechanicism, but has stronger expressive power and it has mechanicism as its proper subset. Computationalism can certainly not exhaust all the possibilities for us to relate to the world.
That much we must have learned from the history of science.

Nevertheless, computationalism (or info-computationalism) can be a very useful framework in a similar way as mechanicism was up to now perfectly fine under certain conditions, within certain domains. (Classical Newtonian physics is just fine in its own domain, and relativistic corrections come first with very high velocities while quantum mechanical modeling becomes necessary first at very small scales.) Info-Computationalism does not replace physics, even though there are physicists working on the project or re-phrasing of quantum physics
in terms of info-computation.
See Goyal and Vedral articles in
http://www.mdpi.com/journal/information/special_issues/matter
and Chiribella in
http://www.mdpi.com/journal/entropy/special_issues/unconvent_computing

We have just only started to exploit the potential of computational framework with computing understood as natural computing (information processing).

There exists more than one possible approach and more than one possible framework and language for us to relate to the world. Søren uses different framework in addressing cybersemiotic aspects. You have logic in focus. There is no absolute reference frame that would dictate one and only approach. There must be place for diversity.

Hopefully all of the views will eventually be related and understood in the common context of knowledge production of humans and other intelligent (adaptive, learning, communicating) agents.

All the best,
Gordana

I think that we should keep distinct two things:

1) The use of machines or computations as metaphor. Some can be good metaphor, some can be bad. I agree with Gordana when comp refer to the metaphors. Such metaphors can be helpful in many fields, like biology but also physics.

2) The computationalist hypothesis in the philosophy of mind/cognitive science (hereafter denoted by "comp"). This is no more metaphorical. As I state it, the comp hypothesis is the hypothesis that there exists a level of description of the "brain" (whatever needed for consciousness, it can include the body and even some finite part of the environment). It is not metaphorical because when you accept a digital brain as prosthesis, you get a real thing, not a metaphor, and you survive (comp is correct), or you don't survive (comp is false, or the level has been wrongly chosen). In this setting, it can be shown that NO sound machines at all can know for sure what is her level of substitution. In fact no machine can know which machine she is, and the choice of the substitution level is always somehow risky. In that sense, comp warns against taking the metaphor too much seriously, as usually the metaphor will concern some level of description, and we can never be sure if we have chosen the correct level. Then the comp hypothesis has important consequences in the fundamental realm. It makes it possible to reduce the mind body problem to the problem of extracting the stable belief in in a physical reality from the statistical interference of the many machine dream which exist already in the models of elementary arithmetic. This is not well known, but has been verified by many people, and criticized only by "sunday" type of philosophy, often by people who take for granted the existence of a *primitive* physical universe (Aristotle theology).

Let me comment also on Feynman (in "The Character of Physical Law", quoted by Gordana) :

The goal of computationalism when it comes to understanding physics is nicely described by Feynman:

"It always bothers me that, according to the laws as we understand them today, it takes a computing machine an infinite number of logical operations to figure out what goes on in no matter how tiny a region of space, and no matter how tiny a region of time. How can all that be going on in that tiny space? Why should it take an infinite amount of logic to figure out what one tin piece of space/ time is going to do? So I have often made the hypothesis that ultimately physics will not require a mathematical statement, that in the end machinery will be revealed, and the laws will turn to be simple, like the checker board with all its apparent complexities."
Richard Feynman in The Character of Physical Law

Since Feynman wrote this, we can say now that we know why, if comp is correct, the physical reality, whatever it is, as to appear like that. Indeed, anything like a physical appearance for some observer is determined by *all* computations, existing in arithmetic, going through the relevant comp state (at the correct description level or below) of the observer. This entails that there is a priori infinite amount of information in any piece of "matter", including tiny portion of space-time. In fact many qualitative, and some quantitative feature of the formulation by Everett of QM are "theorem" of arithmetic, when comp is assumed.

The distinction between 1) and 2) above is crucial with respect of the problem of reductionism. Taking too much seriously some computing metaphor can be reductionist. Yet the comp hypothesis is almost the entire opposite: it can constructively break down all reductionist conception of the machine, and it explains the crucial importance of distinguishing the many points of view already available by the (universal) machines.