Dear Loet, Bob, Joseph, and FIS colleagues,

There is a classical problem in the dialog between natural science and
the humanities, also occurring in the present exchanges (maybe in a
different way). I may agree or disagree respect the constructs presented
by Bob, or my own points, but most of that stuff is closer to
well-accepted conceptualizations of different disciplines and the
discursive element is framed within the bounds of self-discipline. In my
case, when I presented the 11 points, most of them could have a concrete
label: "signaling science", "motor-centered approach", "ecological
psychology", "social brain hypothesis", etc. I think the result was not
a potpourri, but a conceptual body from which a careful reading might
obtain a cogent meaning, hopefully. However, most of Loet's text is
discursive, with ample freedom of construction, and the parts associated
to scientific conceptualizations do not become very relevant --in my
opinion they provide a loan of apparent rigor. Besides the topic of
discussion in his message is slightly twisted: the initial
"communication" and "life" becomes "scientific communication" and
"biology"... I do not want to be negative, rather pointing that there is
a different communication strategy at work. Well, finally the respective
rigor is in the eye of the beholder.

Also, there was an idea by Joseph that I want to continue, when he says:
"...the purport of metabolism is change, not only burning
carbon-hydrogen bonds. But perhaps we might all prefer "communicating is
life; life is communicating"..."
The "semantic metabolism" theme was in the background (just in case I
reproduce his message below).

Then, my suggestion: if most of our daily exchanges in social life occur
for their own sake, just to continue with or to maintain our social
bonds ahead (see Raquel's opening text), the parallelism takes an
interesting turn. Most of semantic metabolism becomes the processing of
our social bonds: degrading them, ascending them, interlinking them,
slightly or deeply changing our inner mental structure of bonds. Dealing
with chemical bonds is the playground for energetic metabolism; dealing
with social bonds is the playground for semantic metabolism. In one case
we use free energy when changing (filling in, depleting) the chemical
bonds; in the other case we use communicative social information when
similarly changing the social bonds. Every chemical reaction refers to
the making and braking of bonds: could we similarly state (tongue in
cheek) that every meaningful social interaction finally refers to the
making and breaking of social bonds?

This is my second, and final, message of the week.

best

---Pedro

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Joseph Brenner <joe.bren...@bluewin.ch