-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Fw: Feedforward II and Anticipation
Date:   Wed, 12 Feb 2014 12:20:01 +0100
From:   Joseph Brenner <joe.bren...@bluewin.ch>
To:     Pedro C. Marijuan <pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es>

Dear FISers,

This subject was introduced late last year by Bob Logan with reference
to his draft paper entitled "Feedforward, I. A. Richards, Cybernetics
and Marshall McLuhan". I feel feedforward deserves more then the limited
discussion it received because it embodies, rather visibly, dualistic
process aspects of both information transfer/communication and the
distinctly human cognitive process of anticipation. First, just three
points about feedforward to remind ourselves of its characteristics:

1. Feedforward is anticipatory control, the reciprocal of feedback.
2. Feedforward transfers context as well as content.
3. Both feedforward and feedback are 'circular'.

Second, I make the claim, for discussion purposes, that my logic of
energy, Logic in Reality (LIR), provides a somewhat more rigorous basis
for discussion and clarification of the dialectics of feedforward,
better, of feedforward and feedback. This means that in all complex
 biological/living systems, feedforward is always accompanied by
feedback. In particular, LIR replaces the unworkable concept of
circularity by saw-tooth or spiral evolution.

Third, it provides interpretations for McLuhan's concept of probes for
studying media, quoted by Bob:

1. Figure/ground: partial simultaneous instantiation of the elements of
figure/ground dichotomies. LIR supports Deacon's view here.
2. Meaning determined by context plus experience.
3. A basis for reversal of standard cause effect; effects as a form for
feedforward leading to new causes.

My vision of feedforward and feedback is thus as non-separable
attributes of living biological and cognitive systems, one or the other
of the above dynamically interacting pairs predominantly actualized or
potentialized as the case may be, alternately and reciprocally. In LIR,
the potentialities of a process are available to consciousness, only
more vaguely than what is usually referred to as 'knowledge'. The
experience of potentialities is to all intents and purposes equivalent
to anticipation of them.

I have analyzed elsewhere the approach to anticipation of Daniel Dubois,
with whom Loet has also worked, referring to Robert Rosen. I found I
could differentiate between his and my perspective as follows:

- Dubois: anticipation is the potential future value of a system's variables

- LIR: anticipation is the current potential value of a system's variables

In conclusion, and in anticipation (;-) of Loet's constructive comments,
I re-emphasize that as far as I am concerned, both analytical and
energetic perspectives are necessary for an adequate picture of
feedforward outside purely electro-mechanical control systems. I look
forward to further discussion of the issues just touched upon above.

Best wishes,

Joseph

Pedro C. Marijuán
Avda. San Juan Bosco, 13, planta X